- Organization: Deutsche Gesellschaft fÃ¼r Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
- Country: Nigeria
- City: Abuja, Nigeria
- Office: GIZ Nigeria
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
For our operations in Nigeria/Abuja, we are looking for a/an
Team Leader (m/f) – Improved Regional Fisheries Governance in Western Africa (PESCAO)
Field of activity
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a service enterprise for development cooperation with international operations and global experience. Owned by the Federal Republic of Germany, the organisation operates as a private-sector enterprise with a development policy mandate: to make sustainable improvements to the living conditions of people in the countries we operate in. The organisation’s business area – GIZ International Services – is the vehicle for offering GIZ’s services to international clients.
GIZ International Services has been invited to submit a proposal for the EU funded project ‘Technical Assistance for the Implementation of the Programme: Improved Regional Fisheries Governance in Western Africa (PESCAO)’, based in Abuja, Federal Republic of Nigeria.
Scope of the project
The overall objective of PESCAO is to enhance the contribution of fisheries resources to sustainable development, food security and poverty alleviation in West Africa. The specific objective is to improve regional fisheries governance in Western Africa through better coordination of national fisheries policies. The expected results or outputs are: Result 1: A Western African fisheries and aquaculture policy is developed and coordination of regional stakeholders is improved.
Result 2: Prevention of and responses to IUU fishing are strengthened through improved Monitoring, Control and Surveillance (MCS) at national and regional levels.
Result 3: Marine resources management at the regional level is improved, building resilience of marine and coastal ecosystems to perturbations.
The Technical Assistance will be primarily responsible for implementing the activities Result 1 of the PESCAO Programme and will facilitate the overall coordination of the Program. It will be responsible for the day-to-day management, planning, implementation and monitoring of the activities. It will work closely with other partners (EFCA, CSRP, CPCO and the pilot projects selected under result 3), responsible for the implementation of the other components of PESCAO (cf. Results 2 and 3).
As Team leader and will provide the overall coordination, direction and leadership for the technical assistance team.
Qualifications and skills:
- Master’s Degree (academic degree), in natural resource management, fisheries, marine biology, environment, food and nutrition security or related fields. PhD degree or other specialist studies in these fields will be considered an asset.
- Excellent command of English and at least good command of French (or vice versa) as well as reporting and communication skills in both languages (written and spoken). Knowledge of Portuguese is considered an asset;
- Proven track record of professional experience in managing multicultural teams of technical specialists with strong facilitation, leadership and communication skills;
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office® suite, datasheets and e-mails. Experience in Internet website management or social media is considered an asset.
General professional experience:
- At least 10 years of professional experience in: Fisheries; IUU Fishing; Food and Nutrition Security; International Cooperation and Regional Integration.
Specific professional experience:
- At least 7 years of experience working as a project team member, with preference in developing countries, in the field of fisheries policy and governance; IUU fishing and related MCS or sustainable management of marine and coastal resources;
- Team Leader of at least one significant project related to fisheries or management of marine and coastal resources, including the drafting of terms of reference; selection, supervision and coordination of short-term experts/consultants;
- Experience in EU funded projects, in EU European Development Fund financial and procurement procedures and/or previous work experience in ECOWAS member states is considered an asset.
The provisional start date is May 2018. The period of implementation of the contract is 48 months.
Please note that we basically can only receive and process applications sent via our e-recruiting system. Should you not be able to do so, please contact the person named in the job advertisement.
To enable us to assess your existing skills and qualifications as part of our internal selection procedure, please complete the questionnaire on your competences when you apply online.
After submitting an application, please check your spam/junk folder regularly for incoming messages, as emails from our e-recruiting system are treated as spam by some providers.
GIZ would like to improve the share of disabled employees, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
Please send us an updated CV in World Bank format.If we caught your interest, we are looking forward to your application until 20.01.2018.
Contact department: Philipp Gutmann
+ 49(0) 6196 79- 3191